Context: Character A, a middle-aged man, suddenly enters the room where Riku, a child, is.

Character A: 何してんだ?リク

Riku: いつものおじさん

Then, in the next balloon (it's a manga), Riku explains what he was doing.

What is いつもの in the sentence above? Is it an adjective? If so would the translation be "oh, the usual man/the man that always comes here"? Or is it the object of the implicit sentence "(I'm doing) the usual, old man"? I would say it is an adjective, because if it was the object it would be いつもの", right? Thank you for your help!

Yes this simply means "the man who always comes here".

いつもの彼/いつものお客さん/etc is a common way to refer to that person you often see or talk about ("you-know-who"). 例の is similar.

In reality, it's unusual to directly address a person with いつものおじさん, and this smells a bit like 説明セリフ to me. 説明セリフ is an jargon term that refers to unnatural lines in fiction (often long one) which only serve as a description for the readers. (Here are typical 説明セリフ in a battle scene; he talks to himself to explain to the readers)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.