Women speak with certain word differences when compared with men and I want to verify if this term is used to describe them. Thank you.

  • 5
    Keep in mind that some of those differences are fictional.
    – user1478
    Mar 18, 2017 at 20:39
  • ウィキペディア has mentioned 女性語(じょせいご) in this article already. Any reason to doubt?
    – user15816
    Mar 20, 2017 at 17:12
  • @clearkimura, can you post the information as an answer?
    – Jack Bosma
    Mar 20, 2017 at 17:13

3 Answers 3


ウィキペディア has an article called 女性語(じょせいご) in Japanese. Quoting the first sentence and providing a translation:


'jyoseigo' are those expression or word that are marked by feminine use. The opposite term is 'danseigo'.

The article also links to this article in English on Wikipedia, which mentions 女言葉 as another term. But that seems to be unused in the article in Japanese.

[...] In Japanese, speech patterns associated with women are referred to as onna kotoba (女言葉?, "women's words") or joseigo (女性語?, "women's language").

Both terms 女性語 and 女言葉 are easily found in online dictionaries. However, I can't seem to find either one in the physical Japanese dictionaries that I have.


It seems to be 女言葉{おんなことば}. e.g. さようなら is used by both men and women, but ごめんあそばせ is not used by men usually.


Historically, there is also the term 女房言葉 (nyōbō kotoba). Note that this term is not used to refer to the modern phenomenon of female-specific speech patterns.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .