Women speak with certain word differences when compared with men and I want to verify if this term is used to describe them. Thank you.

Keep in mind that some of those differences are fictional. – snailboat Mar 18 '17 at 20:39
  • ウィキペディア has mentioned 女性語(じょせいご) in this article already. Any reason to doubt? – clearkimura Mar 20 '17 at 17:12
  • @clearkimura, can you post the information as an answer? – JACK Mar 20 '17 at 17:13

ウィキペディア has an article called 女性語(じょせいご) in Japanese. Quoting the first sentence and providing a translation:

女性語(じょせいご)とは、女性特有の言い回しや言葉。対になるものは男性語。

'jyoseigo' are those expression or word that are marked by feminine use. The opposite term is 'danseigo'.

The article also links to this article in English on Wikipedia, which mentions 女言葉 as another term. But that seems to be unused in the article in Japanese.

[...] In Japanese, speech patterns associated with women are referred to as onna kotoba (女言葉?, "women's words") or joseigo (女性語?, "women's language").

Both terms 女性語 and 女言葉 are easily found in online dictionaries. However, I can't seem to find either one in the physical Japanese dictionaries that I have.

It seems to be 女言葉{おんなことば}. e.g. さようなら is used by both men and women, but ごめんあそばせ is not used by men usually.

Historically, there is also the term 女房言葉 (nyōbō kotoba). Note that this term is not used to refer to the modern phenomenon of female-specific speech patterns.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.