I know that kanji numbers can be read using on and kun readings. Does the same apply to Roman numerals?

Roman numerals (ローマ数字 rōma sūji) represent numbers. It's the numbers that have readings, no matter what numeral system you use to represent them. Roman numerals are thus read according to the number they represent:

[I]{いち}, [II]{に}, [III]{さん}, [I​V]{し・よん}, [V]{ご}, [VI]{ろく}, [VII]{なな・しち}, [VIII]{はち}, [IX]{きゅう}, [X]{じゅう}, ..., [L]{ごじゅう}, ...

just like if you used 漢数字 kansūji (一、二、三、四、…) or アラビア数字 arabia sūji (1, 2, 3, 4, ...).

To refer to a Roman numeral, you could say ローマ数字の「じゅうろく」 for XVI.

• So roman numbers only have an on reading. – JACK Mar 18 '17 at 13:34
    The kun reading is usually used when a number appears together with a counter. But this combination would usually only appear with Arabic or Chinese numerals, as Roman numerals aren't part of standard orthography. I think you will have a hard time to find a Roman numeral which is supposed to be read with a kun reading (hito, futa, mi, etc.). This is more a question about orthography than about readings, I think. – Earthliŋ Mar 18 '17 at 13:42

It represents numbers 0 零 zero/rei 1 一 itsu 2 二 ni 3 三 san 4 四 yon/shi/yo 5 五 go 6 六 roku 7 七 shitsu/nana 8 八 hatsu 9 九 ku/kyuu 10 十 jyuu It represents others a lot of... maybe 40+

Could you double check the spellings of itsu, shitsu, and hatsu? – Chocolate Mar 18 '17 at 13:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.