I cannot find the term to accurately the term for "sleepers". Thank you.


The proper word for it is


but more common words are: 目糞{めくそ} and 目垢{めあか}

  • 4
    目脂 is (much) more common; 目糞 is more slangy/vulgar. – Yosh Mar 17 '17 at 15:22
  • In my experience, 目糞 is the most common in everyday, informal, speech. I don't know how it is statistically speaking though and I wouldn't use it formally. – a20 Mar 17 '17 at 15:29
  • My friends and I mostly use 目脂 in any situation, so it probably depends on the community (influenced by factors like regions, age, etc.). Sorry about sounding assertive. – Yosh Mar 17 '17 at 15:52
  • No problem, you're not sounding assertive. We all have different experiences, and considering you're a native speaker I trust you more in this case than my limited experience (it's not everyday people talk about 目脂 ;) ) – a20 Mar 17 '17 at 15:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.