That may be off topic, but what is this two-row book layout called in Japanese? And to what extent is this format common?

double-row book


This layout technique is called 段組み【だんぐみ】, or specifically 2段組み (two-column layout). 段落 (paragraph) is a different concept.

Newspapers and magazines almost always use multiple-column layout. It's not very common in novels, but we sometimes see this layout especially when it's a long, hard-covered one with a lot of short lines.

  • 1
    Many periodicals published by government and academic organizations also follow this format. I just skimmed through some today, including the 学士会会報. – Halfway Dillitante Mar 17 '17 at 0:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.