I was chatting on the internet and the term was used in response to a question that I had but the person was unable to explain the term to me. I am thinking that it may be an abbreviated form of ふうんいき。Thank you.

No, it is not. We don't reduce 雰囲気 to ふうん.

ふうん is a sort of filler meaning 'I see/ uh-huh/hmmm/really?/for real?/I don't care/how dare you/etc.

When it's actually spoken, the meaning of a ふうん or ふーん can vary very widely depending on the tones and context. On the other hand, written ふうん/ふーん on the internet generally means 'ic.'( I see.) unless it's not in a quotation.

I'm not enough adept at scripting an answer to show the subtle tones and nuances, let me look up for a video that explains well about variations of ふーん/ふうん。

I found a video that epitomises ふーん for meaning 'how dare you say such a thing!'. It's hilarious actually that I want to share with you.

https://youtu.be/_9CUijejOT4

The male MC Mr. Shimoda reads a letter from a listener dubbed himself 'Koharungo2'.

The letter begins with 'Hello Mr. Shimoda and Ms. Tadokoro. I know this is sudden but I love boobs.' Then Tadokoro who's known for her huge tits response with a consummate ふーん。 This is it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.