I recently encountered a situation when のwas used and want to know if either of the terms can be used interchangeably. Thank you.

• I'm confused if whether I cleared your doubts about this question or not – Felipe Oliveira Mar 17 '17 at 14:21

Not exactly replace.

の particle can be used for questions or answers, it means that you're either seeking explanation or explaining something.

The only grammar rule here is that if it is preceded by a NA-Adjective or a Noun you need to add な before the の.

For instance:

どこ行くの?(doko iku no?) - Where are you going?(seeking explanation) - Informal.

どこに行くのですか?(doko ni iku no desu ka?) - Where are you going (seeking explanation) Formal.

どこ行くのか?(doko iku no ka?) - Where are you going (seeking explanation) informal but the か gives more emphasis to your question.

I often see people saying that ending answers and questions with の may sound a bit feminine, so in order to avoid it you should end your sentence with だ、です、ですか, depending if it's an answer or question.

Also you could abbreviate の to ん.

どんな車好きなんだ?(don'na kuruma suki nanda?) - What kind of car do you like? (seeking explanation) Informal.

速い車好きなんだよ!(hayai kuruma suiki nanda yo!) - I like fast cars! (Explaining) informal.

何をしてるんですか?(nani wo shiterun desuka?) - What re you doing?(seeking explanation) somewhat formal.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.