Does this sentence:

「彼女が美しく [...] なりましたね。」

need 「に」 in the marked spot? And why? Can it be used both ways?

I tried searching for the 「に」 usage but it seems to be the most elusive particle as it's used in literally hundreds of different contexts.

No, this sentence does not need に.

However, に does appear in a similar construction: When you want to use なる "to become" with adjectives, you use the 連用形 ren'yōkei, which is formed as follows,

1. for na-adjectives add に
  2. for i-adjectives, delete い and add く

So

1. 彼女がきれいなりましたね。
  2. 彼女が美しなりましたね。
  • But what is the specific rule that determines why I shouldn't put "ni" in the original sentence, but should in the example sentence you provided?
    – NewProger
    Mar 16 '17 at 8:51
    きれい is a na-adjective. 美しい is an i-adjective. The ren'yōkei of 美しい, which is 美しく doesn't take に as a particle. 美しくに is ungrammatical (and so is きれいなりました without the に).
    – Earthliŋ
    Mar 16 '17 at 8:56
  • Ah, now that makes sense! Thank you for clarifying that!
    – NewProger
    Mar 16 '17 at 8:58
  • It's better you think of i-adjectives and na-adjectives as completely different parts-of-speech. (I only mentioned them both in the same answer, because I thought that's why you thought there might be a に there.)
    – Earthliŋ
    Mar 16 '17 at 8:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.