In the computers field, a server serves a request (ex: web server).

How to express that in Japanese?

English example documentation for a method that serves a request:

/**
 * Serve the request.
 */
public Response serve(Request request)

I want to translate that documentation to Japanese, so I write リクエストを____

• I'm not familiar with technical English, but do you say "serve a request" in this case (instead of, say, "serve a response")? Mar 14, 2017 at 11:15
    @brokenheadphones: Example usage: ducea.com/2008/02/06/… Mar 14, 2017 at 12:07
  • serveは「(リクエスト)を処理して応答を返す」と「(リソース)を配信する」の両方の意味で使われます(だから直訳しにくい)。ただserve a responseはあまり見ない気がします。
    – naruto
    Mar 14, 2017 at 12:12
    @NicolasRaoul Thank you. In your case, if you refer to the whole process the server does its own work with the request, I think it's better to stick with サーブ. Mar 14, 2017 at 12:14
  • @naruto ありがとうございます。一応検索してみたのですが "serve a request" の方が2倍くらいあるようですね(どっちも全部IT用例じゃないのであれですが)。 Mar 14, 2017 at 12:20

1 Answer 1

I doubt there is a direct equivalent. If you don't mind rephrasing it, you can use:

• 配信する (to distribute)
  • 応答する (to respond)
  • 処理する (to process)

But in programming contexts, just using サーブする is also a good idea. There is no good kanji word for server, after all.

EDIT: The reason why serve is difficult to translate literally is because one can say both "serve a request" (the object is something coming into the server) and "serve a file" (the object is something going out of the server). 応答 and 処理 are close to the former sense, and 配信 is close to the latter sense. I think サーブする covers both meanings.

Oh, speaking of Kanji for "server" -> 服務器 (Not Japanese, Chinese, but still Kanji)
    – sazarando
    Mar 14, 2017 at 11:40
    @sazarando 服務 once was a usable word in Japanese too, but nowadays mostly replaced by サービス. Mar 14, 2017 at 12:16

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .