In the computers field, a server serves a request (ex: web server).

How to express that in Japanese?

English example documentation for a method that serves a request:

 * Serve the request.
public Response serve(Request request)

I want to translate that documentation to Japanese, so I write リクエストを____

  • I'm not familiar with technical English, but do you say "serve a request" in this case (instead of, say, "serve a response")? – broken laptop Mar 14 '17 at 11:15
  • 2
    @brokenheadphones: Example usage: ducea.com/2008/02/06/… – Nicolas Raoul Mar 14 '17 at 12:07
  • serveは「(リクエスト)を処理して応答を返す」と「(リソース)を配信する」の両方の意味で使われます(だから直訳しにくい)。ただserve a responseはあまり見ない気がします。 – naruto Mar 14 '17 at 12:12
  • 1
    @NicolasRaoul Thank you. In your case, if you refer to the whole process the server does its own work with the request, I think it's better to stick with サーブ. – broken laptop Mar 14 '17 at 12:14
  • @naruto ありがとうございます。一応検索してみたのですが "serve a request" の方が2倍くらいあるようですね(どっちも全部IT用例じゃないのであれですが)。 – broken laptop Mar 14 '17 at 12:20

I doubt there is a direct equivalent. If you don't mind rephrasing it, you can use:

  • 配信する (to distribute)
  • 応答する (to respond)
  • 処理する (to process)

But in programming contexts, just using サーブする is also a good idea. There is no good kanji word for server, after all.

EDIT: The reason why serve is difficult to translate literally is because one can say both "serve a request" (the object is something coming into the server) and "serve a file" (the object is something going out of the server). 応答 and 処理 are close to the former sense, and 配信 is close to the latter sense. I think サーブする covers both meanings.

  • 1
    Oh, speaking of Kanji for "server" -> 服務器 (Not Japanese, Chinese, but still Kanji) – sazarando Mar 14 '17 at 11:40
  • 2
    @sazarando 服務 once was a usable word in Japanese too, but nowadays mostly replaced by サービス. – broken laptop Mar 14 '17 at 12:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.