Is it sometimes considered politer or more formal to say ちゃう・じゃう as opposed to してしまう? Does it give a more positive nuance than してしまう?

An example: One time I was going to be late to a dinner date and someone called me asking how late I would be. They were nervous and I'm their senior so they were using keigo the whole time, and then I said something like "it's ok if you start without me," and they replied 「それでは、はじまっちゃいます」 which I took to mean "ok, we're going to go ahead and start then."

I mean its not a big deal to me but I was just curious because intuitively it does feel like saying 「それでは、はじまってしまいます」would be completely wrong. Something about てしまう gives me more of a nuance of agency where ちゃう and じゃう don't.

Talking about ちゃ and じゃ here is kind of like talking about the formality of gon and wan rather than gonna and wanna. – snailcar Mar 14 '17 at 5:06

I think they actually said 始めちゃいます using 始る (transitive).

~ちゃう is always colloquial and relatively informal, but usually not impolite. It's inappropriate to use ~ちゃう in formal greetings and business letters. But in everyday conversations, many people use it even when they are talking with their bosses using light keigo (です/ます). If you were an unfriendly 怖い上司, they might have avoided ~ちゃう and said それでは始めてしまいます.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.