For saying who are you? I understand you can say

Kimi wa dare nanda? or Anata wa dare? and similars.

Then what does Silver Fang say here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M6C35Hxu1Q&t=2m22s

What I hear is "Dare ja ne .. kimi wa" I guess I'm misshearing a lot because as far as I know "ja ne" it's a way to say good bye so it doesnt make sense to be there? What is he saying exactly?

You're not mishearing it. The じゃ is a corrupted form of だ common to accented speech in Japan. 関西弁 does something similar, but uses や. The ね works as similarly to か (question-indicating sentence final particle), but I would think of it as a softer, more colloquial か.

(In Shoko's comment on this answer, she suggests that it feels a little bit arrogant and is most likely to come from an old man.)

If きみはだれですか is "Who are you?", you can think of だれじゃね。。。きみは as "Who da... hell're you?" or similar.

The ね is odd -> 「誰じゃね?」はおかしくないです。「誰だね?」と同じです。この「ね」は「か?」じゃないです(「誰だか?」「誰じゃか?」とは言わないので)。この場合の「じゃ」はアニメのお年寄りの話し方(役割語・老人語)だと思います。 – Chocolate Mar 14 '17 at 0:40
    @Shoko アニメだけじゃなく、漫画でもゲームでもライトノベルでも使われることが多いと思います。 – Aeon Akechi Mar 14 '17 at 0:58
    @Nothingatall あ、そうですね。アニメだけじゃないですね。多分、ドラマでも。時代劇とか。いろんなフィクションで見られますね。 – Chocolate Mar 14 '17 at 1:00
    @FelipeOliveira That would be じゃねえ. This じゃね is just dialect/fictional old people copula じゃ + sentence-ending particle ね. – Aeon Akechi Mar 14 '17 at 2:11
    「誰だね?」「何だね?」「何かね?」「どこだね?」「そうかね?」などの、質問文に付く「ね」は、さほど珍しくはないと思います。「誰だ‌​ね?」は、‌​「誰だ?」に終助詞「ね」がつい‌​たもの‌です。明鏡国語辞典に‌​、「ね 🈩【終助詞】③《質問の文に‌​付いて》質問・確認・反問・疑念などに尊大‌​さを添える。『今日は何日かね』『明日は来‌​てくれるかね』『そんな手に誰が乗りますか‌​ね』▶質問・反問の意では、主として年配の‌​男性が使う。」とあります。確かに、このセリフ‌​を言ってる人はおじいさんで、ちょっと‌​エラソーな感じがしますよね。 – Chocolate Mar 14 '17 at 12:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.