Typing The article/text/writing was innovative in any translation software gives numerous results. After looking up the words article, text, and writing in the dictionary, I found too many options and so, decided to choose the most basic word that would get the meaning of a visible piece of text through.

I need a word that in general can encompass things such as writings in a cave, an article in the newspaper, a notice on the notice board, an essay written by a student, etc.

Or there are too many to sift through and I should memorize them separately. BTW, I found きじ and. てくすと but am not sure if they can collectively handle broad meanings.

Is there a general term for texts in japanese like fluid is for everything that flows?

• What aspects "writings in a cave, an article in the newspaper, a notice on the notice board, an essay written by a student" have in common, if you don't mind? Apr 13, 2017 at 10:54

2 Answers 2

We may not have a perfect counterpart. The best I could think of would be 「文章{ぶんしょう}」.

If, however, the writing consisted of only a few letters/characters, we might call it 「文字{もじ}」.

文字{もじ} would be a right word in this case.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .