Typing The article/text/writing was innovative in any translation software gives numerous results. After looking up the words article, text, and writing in the dictionary, I found too many options and so, decided to choose the most basic word that would get the meaning of a visible piece of text through.

I need a word that in general can encompass things such as writings in a cave, an article in the newspaper, a notice on the notice board, an essay written by a student, etc.

Or there are too many to sift through and I should memorize them separately. BTW, I found きじ and. てくすと but am not sure if they can collectively handle broad meanings.

Is there a general term for texts in japanese like fluid is for everything that flows?

• What aspects "writings in a cave, an article in the newspaper, a notice on the notice board, an essay written by a student" have in common, if you don't mind? – broccoli forest Apr 13 '17 at 10:54

We may not have a perfect counterpart. The best I could think of would be 「文章{ぶんしょう}」.

If, however, the writing consisted of only a few letters/characters, we might call it 「文字{もじ}」.

文字{もじ} would be a right word in this case.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.