I am asking this question because it might be possible for two Kanji characters, if written in reverse order, could have the same meaning. Thank you very much.

• I can think of 心身 and 身心, so I would say yes sometimes. @naruto's answer is really good as he has many examples...more examples than I can think of. – Herb Mar 9 '17 at 19:41

Usually reversing the order drastically changes the meaning even if it happens to mean something:

• 会社【かいしゃ】 company ≠ 社会【しゃかい】 society
  • 牛乳【ぎゅうにゅう】 cow milk ≠ 乳牛【にゅうぎゅう】 milk cow
  • 現実【げんじつ】 reality ≠ 実現【じつげん】 realization
  • 家出【いえで】 running away from home ≠ 出家【しゅっけ】 entering the priesthood
  • 日本【にほん】 Japan ≠ 本日【ほんじつ】 today

But some pairs have a very similar meaning, if not completely interchangeable. Examples include:

• 表裏【ひょうり】 ≒ 裏表【うらおもて】 two sides (eg of a paper)
  • 性根【しょうこん】 ≒ 根性【こんじょう】 nature (of a person), character
  • 階上【かいじょう】 ≒ 上階【じょうかい】 upper floor
  • 年毎【としごと】 ≒ 毎年【まいとし】 every year
  • 誕生【たんじょう】 ≒ 生誕【せいたん】 birth
  • 野山【のやま】 ≒ 山野【さんや】 hills and fields
  • 事物【じぶつ】 ≒ 物事【ものごと】 things
  • 苦労【くろう】 ≒ 労苦【ろうく】 hardship
  • 左右【さゆう】 ≒ 右左【みぎひだり】 left and right
  • 凹凸【おうとつ】 ≒ 凸凹【でこぼこ】 unevenness
  • 祖先【そせん】 ≒ 先祖【せんぞ】 ancestor
    Worth pointing out to the reader if they are unaware that the nuance or context of the reversals even when the meaning doesn't change very much is different, to some degree because of the on/kun-yomi shift. – bright-star Mar 9 '17 at 23:01

Ever? Yes. 日日 has the same meaning forward and reverse.

• Also, I understand that in some contexts phrases may be written right-to-left - effectively, in the traditional top-to-bottom, then right-to-left manner, but with a single character per "line". – Karl Knechtel Mar 10 '17 at 8:28
    humor is strong in this one – jarmanso7 Aug 28 at 17:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.