While I was flipping through a kanji dictionary (2013's Kodansha KLD), I came across 耶{や} , which in the book, said it was the interrogative particle か. However, after a bit more research, it doesn't seem to yield anything outside of Chinese; is it nowadays no longer used as an interrogative particle, or just not used at all?

• You might want to read what is considered a duplicate question (see particularly the sentence about “the same potential answer”) and how to handle such situations meta.stackexchange.com/questions/10841/… – macraf Sep 30 '17 at 23:33
  • This isn't a duplicate-question, however... – Declan Oct 1 '17 at 0:50
  • Of course it is not. I am trying to educate you as you had a different opinion on your today’s question which you deleted. – macraf Oct 1 '17 at 0:52

If you want an honest answer, it has little to no value in the modern Japanese-speaking world.

For the vast majority of Japanese-speakers, 「耶{や}​ 」 is just a kanji for that syllable used in some girls' names.

Unless one is a kanji scholar or one just wants to nitpick for the heck of it, 「耶」 has no other use in modern Japanese.

固有名詞以外だとあとは「有耶無耶」くらいでしょうか. – Yosh Mar 7 '17 at 3:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.