Garbage trucks have devices that make musical sounds attached to them and I am unable to locate the term. Thank you.

I do not think there is a specific name for those melodies (I know them well, and hated them as they used to wake me up twice a week when I lived in Kanagawa-ken :) ).

They also seem not to be a standard, but to depend on the area and the specific town/neighborhood.

This Wikipedia article simply refers to them as 電子音{でんしおん}のメロディ ( "electronic melody"). In particular, quote:

また、日本の一部の地方自治体やアジア諸国などでは、周りの人々に気付いてもらいやすいように、電子音のメロディを鳴らしながらごみを回収する事例もある

This is another article that explains how these melodies really seem to depend on the area and town (as well as the fact that the trucks make a sound at all). Also in this article, I don't seem to find any specific word to describe this sound. It is broadly referred to as 音楽{おんがく}.

This article also report some commonly used melodies such as: 「赤とんぼ」,「草競馬」,「乙女の祈り」, and 「エリーゼのために」 (some of these are also referred in the Wikipedia article above).

So do the forklifts or other heavy machinery at some works or factories to get people's awareness.

I didn't know the specific term for the music so I looked up and got this.enter image description here

The questioner uses '前進メロディー' , which totally makes sense to me in this context but like the answer goes it's not a common word.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.