Here is a conversation excerpt:

(娘) 初めて貰った花束がお別れの花束なんて悲しい。
(母)この前の誕生日にバラの花を貰ったでしょう。

"バラの花" seems redundant to me. There is no reason to state that a rose is a flower. Does

(母)この前の誕生日にバラを貰ったでしょう。

also sound natural?

If "...バラを貰った..." does not sound natural, then my conjecture:
(-) "バラの花束" definitely means more than one rose.
(-) Maybe does "バラの花" explicitly means just one rose?
(-) And, "バラ" by itself could mean one, or many, roses?

note: That the daughter had initially received just one rose last year, instead of a bouquet, was central to the larger discussion that they were having.

• (not native speaker) I am under the impression that バラ is a generic word for the species (seed or flower), and バラの花 is the specific form. – Avery Mar 6 '17 at 16:32

誕生日にバラの花を貰った and 誕生日にバラを貰った are both natural, and people usually imagine exactly the same thing. Both can mean ether one rose or or a bouquet. In this sense, yes, ~の花 is redundant.

But many people add ~の花 anyway. It's hard to logically explain why, but perhaps it's just because it's a very common and nice way of putting it. We see バラの花 in ads, lyrics and everywhere, and virtually no one wonders if it's unnecessarily long.

バラ can refer to the rosebush, not just the rose. The term developed from older form 茨{うばら}, which referred generally to brambles and other thorny shrubs.

でも「バラをもらった」と聞いて「バラの木をもらったんだなあ」とは思いませんけどね・・^^ – Chocolate Mar 7 '17 at 2:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.