I can't find the word for what these sliding doors are called. I seem to remember shoji. Thank you.


2 Answers 2


From Wikipedia

In traditional Japanese architecture, a shōji (障子) is a door, window or room divider consisting of translucent paper over a frame of wood which holds together a lattice of wood or bamboo. While washi is the traditional paper, shōji may be made of paper made by modern manufacturing processes; plastic is also in use.

I will just include the picture from the page while I am at it.

enter image description here


I think you want to know a name of a Japanese-style room's door:


This is a free picture. You can download from here.
The name is [障子]{しょうじ}.

Wikipedia (Japanese)


Shoji is used in doors and widows in Japanese-house. Shoji that's put papers on wood frame in such a way as to allow light to pass through is called [明障子]{あかりしょうじ}.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .