I was studying grammar from this site. I figured what き meant through the kanji, but I couldn't pinpoint what verb つく tsuku was.

Then I googled it and found a site where it says that 「に 気 が つく」 means "to have ki put onto you".

But I can't figure out the dictionary entry for つく.

Would anyone give me the dictionary definition along with the kanji for the same?

つく is just 付く "to stick/adhere/be attached [to]".

〇〇に気が付く can literally be interpreted as "to have one's attention be attached to (or focussed on) 〇〇". (Of course 気 is more profound than "attention".)

I think "to have ki put onto you" does not work as a literal translation. The thing that ki is "put onto" is not "you", but the thing that was noticed.

By the way, there is also a shortened version, written 気づく or 気付く.

(See Do 気が付く{つく} and 気[付く]{づく} have the same meaning?)

Kanji vs kana

In both 気がつく and 気づく, the verb 付く is usually written in kana, but the kanji version is still quite common: In the Balanced Corpus of Contemporary Written Japanese about one in five instances appears in kanji.

|improve this answer|||||

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.