When was this rule to prolong short vowels added to Japanese?
And is there any formally accepted reason for using う and い instead of お and え? (which would seem like a more natural option, in my opinion)

There are examples where お is used after a syllable ending in ~O, are these phonetically equivalent? とお(遠) and とう(塔)?

Edit: My question, specifically is why is う used to make syllables ending in O long, when a more intuitive and natural option would have been using お (And this premise is totally subjective and my opinion, if someone disagrees, please explain)

Possible duplicate of Long O — when is it OU and when OO? – broccoli forest Mar 4 '17 at 0:29
  • @brokenheadphones Clearly not a duplicate. – Petruza Mar 5 '17 at 0:46
    So, are you specifically asking "why" in the sense of what historic outcome makes it? Because the most formal reason is today's official orthography prescribes so. – broccoli forest Mar 5 '17 at 2:43
    @brokenheadphones : I added an edit: My question, specifically is why is う used to make syllables ending in O long, when a more intuitive and natural option would have been using お (And this premise is totally subjective and my opinion, if someone disagrees, please explain) – Petruza Mar 6 '17 at 16:08
  • @brokenheadphones Also, thanks for the link but I do not read Japanese yet. – Petruza Mar 6 '17 at 16:09

Historically えい and おう were pronounced differently from ええ and おお, the first two as diphthongs and the second as long vowels. Sound changes resulted in a merger, but despite spelling reforms, the spellings remained separate.

Notably, in some cases, the spelling is still indicative of the pronunciation. Take めい, for instance: generally read as //meː// in 明快{めいかい} "clear, explicit", but still as diphthong //mei// in 姪{めい} "niece". – Eiríkr Útlendi Mar 3 '17 at 20:30
    Note here that めい for 明 is on'yomi, whereas めい for 姪 is kun'yomi. It's also notable that all instances I'm aware of where we find ええ and おお are kun'yomi: ええと, お姉{ねえ}さん, 大{おお}きい, {とお}る, etc. – Eiríkr Útlendi Mar 3 '17 at 21:07
    This reminded me of Great Vowel Shift of English, which is similar but perhaps more drastic :) – naruto Mar 3 '17 at 22:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.