Can I re-write this sentence:

このクレジットカードは国内、国外を問わず、いろいろな場所で使える。

as

このクレジットカードは国内国外もを問わず、使える。

A good reason to have replaced the first "も" with "、" is to avoid the unfortunate, (but grammatically correct?), "もを" string of particles?

• What makes you think it's unfortunate but grammatically correct? – snailboat Mar 4 '17 at 14:25
  • I'd thought that, in general, stringing 2 or 3 particles together makes understanding what modifies what more difficult. And "(noun)もを..." sounded strange. But the more I repeat saying naruto's answer in my head, the better it sounds. This site is very useful. – riverflows Mar 4 '17 at 15:41

The correct sentence is:

このクレジットカードは国内国外を問わず使える。

This か is the question marker and forms an embedded question.

This should be straightforward because, in English, you should say "regardless of whether it's A or B", not "regardless of both A and B".

Of course you can also say it without 問わず at all:

このクレジットカードは国内でも国外でも使える。

But note that 国外でもを is ungrammatical because ~でも (="also in ~") is an adverbial phrase which never serves as an object marked with を.

• Thanks. This one really confused me! While you were responding, I actually changed "でも" to just "も". I should not have done that. sorry. – riverflows Mar 3 '17 at 20:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.