I thought the use of this suffix was restricted to obligations, but the sentence below has left me confused.

この会に来たインドの人は「日本にいろいろ教えてもらって、早く空気をきれいにしなければなりません」と話していました。

Source: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/k10010874151000/k10010874151000.html

• I don't understand why you are confused. So what do you think this sentence means? – naruto Mar 1 '17 at 18:07
  • An indian person that came to the meeting said: 'Japan taught us a lot of things. Possibly, our air will soon be beautiful'. Would it not be better instead of 'しなければなりません' write 'かもしれない', 'だろう' or 'でしょう'? – Pagginelli Mar 1 '17 at 20:09
  • @Pagginelli Why do you think it would mean that? – Aeon Akechi Mar 1 '17 at 20:37

This しなければなりません just means "must", "need to", "have to". And that's the only meaning of しなければなりません.

この会に来たインドの人は「日本にいろいろ教えてもらって、早く空気をきれいにしなければなりません」と話していました。

• An Indian person who came to the meeting said, "[I] have to make the air (of India) clean after Japan taught a lot of things to [me]."
  • An Indian person who came to the meeting said, "[We Indian people] have to make the air (of India) clean after Japan taught a lot of things to [us]."

This person is probably someone in charge of the air pollution problem of India, but since the subject is omitted, the second interpretation is possible.

• Since a group of officials and experts came to learn on behalf of their country, I would definitely go with the second interpretation. One person alone will probably have a very difficult time trying to clean up India's air. – Halfway Dillitante Mar 2 '17 at 3:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.