I was reading the sentence:
'大勢でレストランへ行く時は、前もって予約をしておいたほうがいいと思う。' ,
but I have not understood what this expression means.

〜しておく means to do something in advance.

EDIT: So the sentence can be translated as "When going to a restaurant with a large group of people, you should make a reservation ahead of time."

Where do you get "a crowded (popular) restaurant" from? – l'électeur Feb 25 '17 at 2:24
  • It is taken from: '大勢でレストラン'. – Pagginelli Feb 25 '17 at 4:59
    I think @l'électeur's point is that 大勢でレストランへ行く時は means 'When large numbers of people go to a restaurant' i.e. when you go as a big group it's better to make a resevation. It doesn't mean that there are a lot of people at the restaurant. – user3856370 Feb 25 '17 at 9:32
  • Yes, my mistake. I misread the sentence :-) – TFlo83 Feb 25 '17 at 19:32
  • But the ideia of doing in advance is not already transmitted by '前もって'? – Pagginelli Feb 26 '17 at 22:34

In your sentence 「~しておく」 means to do something in preparation for another purpose. "Do" it and "put" it aside for later use. Therefore often used in the phrase「準備しておく」 meaning "get ready in advance;prepare in advance". As for 「ほうがいい」 - broken headphones reference.

Together - "you had better make a reservation (first, in advance)"

Note: 「しておく」 is to also used in the continous sense to mean "to keep, to maintain" as in 「清潔にしておく」→ "to keep clean, to maintain clean condition"

• But the ideia of doing in advance is not already transmitted by '前もって'? – Pagginelli Feb 26 '17 at 22:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.