Why <開こうとしない> can't be used in the second option?

Is it so because the cap is inanimate object?

Exemple

The lid isn't trying to open, is it? – Aeon Akechi Feb 17 '17 at 17:11
  • I think it would be better to say why you think it COULD be used, so we could correct any underlying misunderstandings. What is your understanding of the おうとする construction? – Kurausukun Feb 17 '17 at 18:00
  • @Nothingatall that's right - "no matter how many times I try to open the lid, it remains sealed" – へびひめ Feb 17 '17 at 18:01
  • @Kurausukun found this in my exercise textbook during studies, i.imgur.com/PiPD8Lz.png – へびひめ Feb 17 '17 at 18:03

A) このジャムのふたは、いくら開け「よう」としても「開かない」

B) このジャムのふたは、いくら開け「よう」としても「開こうとしない」

C) このジャムのふたは、いくら開け「ろう」としても「開かない」

D) このジャムのふたは、いくら開け「ろう」としても「開こうとしない」

First of all, there is no usage as 「開けろう」in Japanese. The choices C & D are incorrect.

Second, the lid is no human (or even it does not have a life, just a object). So the lid does not have own consciousness. 「開こうとしない」 means "someone does not want to open". But object does not have own consciousness. That's why 「開こうとしない」is incorrect.

• thanks! clears my assumptions, that's exactly what I was thinking about – へびひめ Feb 17 '17 at 18:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.