a few days ago I find out that the term "子役の闇" exist, but I can't quite understand its meaning. I have seen it used on places like twitter and 2ch but it seems there's no English equivalent for this. I guess a literal translation would be something like "The desperation of the child actor" or something along those lines but I'm not sure about it and I don't think it makes much sense in English.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks

• That is nothing unique to the Japanese-speaking world. Have you not heard of Macaulay Culkin or Gary Coleman? – l'électeur Feb 16 '17 at 14:43

闇{やみ} is often colloquially used to mean "deep, dark secrets"."unknown, unseen side (negative)" or "the dark side".

So in your example, 子役{こやく}の闇{やみ} means the "the dark side of child actors". People would use that when discussing bad things happening in the child actor industry.

There is also a term [N]の闇{やみ}が深{ふか}い, meaning [N] has some dark secret, or sometimes just that there is something doesn't seems quite right (and therefore there must be some deep, dark secret somewhere).

• Thanks for the clarification, "dark side" sounds good for what I have to do, thanks again! – YuriMaker Feb 17 '17 at 8:22

'Child actors' very negative sides.' I would translate like above.

闇 (darkness) in internet contexts often means very negative sides of something in contrast to its very positive sides.

• So, in this case 闇 would simply refer to the downsides of being a child actor? Guess I was overthinking it, thank you. – YuriMaker Feb 16 '17 at 14:39
  • Yup you are totally right. – Wataru 'Watson' Subridge Feb 16 '17 at 14:40
    @YuriMaker Personally, I wouldn't translate it to "downsides",. as that sounds too light. – Jimmy Feb 16 '17 at 18:44
    As @Jimmy says, "downsides" is like "disadvantages", meaning not going to regular school, not having regular friends, dealing with the media exposure, etc. I think "negative" or "dark side" are best. – user3169 Feb 17 '17 at 4:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.