I'm having problem translating this sentence

正直な人が損をするようなことは、あってはいけない.

and more importantly I want to know what ”ような” means exactly in this context, please give me a short example of ”ような” if possible. I'm also curious what "あって" means too.

Sorry to bother and thanks in advance.

I'll try to translate the sentence just literally into English.

'There should not be things like an honest person suffer a loss.'

ような in this context means 'like' as a preposition. Hence 'ようなこと' would be translated to 'things like~ あって is continuous form of the verb ある(to be or to exist) As opposed to the e.g. below あって sounds very natural.

正直な人が損をするようなことは、'ある'はいけない。 Here in this example'ある' , I intentionally remained in infinitive form. I can completely understand but conveys a feeling that the speaker is a novice Japanese learner.

The structure is ような + Noun Yo na literally means like, similar to,such as, etc So a person like this = ような人 A thing like this = ようなもの

In the context,it means 'such as like making a loss' The sentence means 'for an honest person, it is not possible he had things like loosing money.'

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.