I know とても is not very formal, but what about ずいぶん and 大いに? Are ずいぶん and 大いに interchangeable, and if so, which is more formal?

I can't explain why but 大いに sounds far less colloquial than ずいぶん to me... and one difference I can think of: 〇「大いに頑張ってくれ!」×「ずいぶん頑張ってくれ!」 – Chocolate Feb 14 '17 at 1:07

What is formal in your mind?

Suppose the meeting room is a mess and you want to have it clean. The following is the e-mail message from you to a person in the General Affairs Department.

"会議室がとても汚れています。11時までに、清掃をお願いします。" This is the best and most popular (and formal) expression on business.

"会議室がずいぶん汚れています。・・・" This one is also OK.

"会議室が大{おお}いに汚れています。・・・" This one is acceptable but "おおいに" is generally for the expression of an emotion. I wouldn't use it for this situation.

"会議室が非常{ひじょう}に汚れています。・・・" The word "非常に" is versatile. It's used widely. I can recommend the use of "非常に" for any situation without using set phrases.

"非常に" と言う言い方は、非常に広く使われます。

The common expressions,

Preceding sentence: "とてもご無沙汰しております" Long time no see. (I'm not sure but "とても" in English here can be "very"? Very long time no see.???)

"おおいに" is rather suitable for the expression of feeling.

"私は、その素晴らしい演奏に、大いに感動した" I was greatly moved by the performance.

• 「とてもご無沙汰しております」って、言うんですか? – bright-star Feb 14 '17 at 6:04

I don't feel that either one of them has a significantly formal (or casual) tone. (A good rule of thumb is that 漢語 tends to be stilted and formal, while pure-Japanese words are less so.)

One major factor that will affect the formality of those words is their nuance:

• ずいぶん: implies that the degree is perhaps "too much".
  • 大いに: implies that something was "wholeheartedly" so.

Here is a contrived example of what (I think) that might mean:

• 「彼はずいぶん意気込んでるね」: "He's...really into it, isn't he?"
  • 「彼は大いに意気込んでる、ね?」: "He's really poured his heart into it, hasn't he?"

Finally, a good neutral semi-formal adjective that is less nuanced is 「非常に」.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.