(Names below have been changed.)

I received the following (partial) message from B先生, my previous teacher, after going through a JLPT class with C先生 and passing the N2 exam. How should I interpret the bolded sentence?

おおお〜〜〜!Aさん、おめでと〜〜〜〜〜\(^o^)/Aさんなら大丈夫だと思っていましたよ!次はN1ですか?C先生になんでも聞いて、合格できるように頑張って!

The って at the back confuses me. To me, it can mean either one of these two things:

1. Quotation particle って, in which case the quote doesn't make sense to me (shouldn't it be something like 頑張っていたって?)

2. Te-form of 頑張る, in which case it signals a request (so is she asking me to work hard for N1?)

Please advise.

• It's your option 2. – user3526 Feb 16 '17 at 6:17

Maybe I'm having trouble understanding your English, but って here is not related to quotation. 

Instead, it's a command form of 頑張る

頑張る

頑張らない

= 頑張る is a 五段動詞

Then there's the command forms for it:

頑張れ - do your best

頑張って - do your best

頑張ろう - let's do our best

| improve this answer | |
  • Hm, but the sentence starts with C先生になんでも聞いて, which seems to suggest that it's not a がんばってください! ... or am I mistaken? – rhyaeris Feb 13 '17 at 1:39
    @rhyaeris This text was written as if talking, so don't try too hard to look too for proper written Japanese in there. Also, I don't see how the first part prevent the second part from being command form. The sentence says : "Ask the teacher anything, and try your best to pass the test!" – stack reader Feb 13 '17 at 1:49
  • @stack reader I see; thank you! Upon checking the definition of なんでも I get the following: "I am told; I understand; they say; I hear. —At start of sentence." This prevented me from seeing the って as a command/request. If you were to write your comment as an answer I'll gladly provide credit! – rhyaeris Feb 13 '17 at 4:22
  • Think of なんでも as なん + でも (何でも), so like, "No matter what it is, ask C-sensei, and do your best so that you may pass the test!" I would recommend doing some language exchanges and switching to a J-J dictionary, as that may really benefit your study! – Nicholas Mar 16 '17 at 10:32

"て(って)" of "頑張って" can be understood as te-form connecting verb sentences.

"頑張って合格してください、そして有意義な大学生活を楽しんでください!"
" Do your best to pass the examination and enjoy your meaningfull college life."
can be abbreviated to
"頑張って合格して、有意義な大学生活を楽しんでください!",
"頑張って合格して、有意義な大学生活を楽しんで!",
"頑張って合格して!"

I'm wondering why you didn't ask this question C先生. (^^)

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.