The phrase "話し手も相手も共通に知っている場合" was translated in this board as "When both the speaker and listener know the subject"

I dont understand 2 things about this sentence. What's the use of ni in this phrase. It doesnt seem to match with any of the uses of "ni" I know. Isnt 話し手も相手も共通 the topic of the sentence and should be marked with "は". And why "the subject" isnt before the 知っている verb and it isnt marked with を ?

I understand "共通に" can be correspoond to "both."

"話し手も相手も共通に話題を知っている場合" = "When(場合) both(共通に) the speaker(話し手) and(も) listener(相手) know(知っている) the subject(話題(を))"

"話し手も相手も共通に知っている場合" = "When both the speaker and listener know the subject"

"話し手も相手も知っている場合" = "When the speaker and listener know the subject"

The nuance of difference is quite week.

共通に is an adverb modifying 知っている. It is added for emphasis. 話し手も相手も知っている場合 is also a valid expression differing only by nuance.

• if they have different nuances, could you make a literal translation of both phrases for the nuances to be more clear or the literal translation of both nuances is the same? I appreciate the info in your answer and the time you took to answer but I dont quite get it – Pablo Feb 12 '17 at 23:42
  • Sunny's "both" is perfect. – Craig Hicks Feb 13 '17 at 15:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.