If we look at the Japanese word, there is no "Fujiyama" at all. I have a hunch that this was a mistake of a translator who transliterated 富士山 wrongly due to the kanji "yama" reading. Yet if it's a mistake, why was it so widely spreaded? Wikipedia refers to "Fujiyama" as a disambiguation to "Mount Fuji" and I even saw a Japanese book with the title "FUJIYAMA". Was it really someone's mistake or Japanese has some variation about this particular mountain?

For example, here in Russia many people consider "Fujiyama" normal name where those who study Japanese consider it as a terrible inaccuracy of a translator. Where is the truth?

We do say ふじのやま as well if not ふじやま. – l'électeur Feb 11 '17 at 15:44
    Are you sure this is true? I've never heard it as "Fujiyama" in English. It was probably the same kind of mistake that allowed the translation of "Kamikaze" as "Kamikaze" as opposed to しんぷう (the reading "kamikaze" has since been backwards-imported into Japan). I think this question is too subjective to be a real question unless we can know this isn't the mistake of one Russian translator who subsequently influenced a bunch of people to make the same mistake. – virgil9306 Feb 12 '17 at 1:30
    I've never heard Fujiyama either, but if I do I'll ask them say "とみさむらいやま" instead. – Craig Hicks Feb 12 '17 at 7:56
    I'm voting to migrate it to the English Stackexchange. – broccoli forest Feb 12 '17 at 13:09
    I've definitely hear Fujiyama in UK TV shows on Japan. The mistake has propagated well beyond Russia. – user3856370 Feb 12 '17 at 17:45

There is a famous phrase "fujiyama, geisha" = "富{ふ}士{じ}山{やま}、芸者{げいしゃ}." This phrase as the symbol of Japan is believd spoken by foreigners during the Meiji Period.
It could be a likely tale.

We Japanese have accepted "Fuji-yama" as "外{がい}人{じん}のちょっと変{へん}な日本語."

外人のちょっと変な英語 <- 「英語」なんですか。「ちょっと変な日本語」ではなく? – Chocolate Feb 13 '17 at 1:19
    Shoko-san, 確かにそうでした。 – Sonny365 TANAKA Feb 13 '17 at 2:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.