Did I hear it wrong? And should it be 彼女は亡くなり なりました?

I am watching Japanese movies to improve my listening. In a movie a character said:

彼女は亡くなりなりました

Mentioned that I know the rule:

Na-adjective/noun: ~ に なります
I-adjective/nai: ~く なります

My listening is not good yet.

Maybe it was お亡くなりになりました? – Aeon Akechi Feb 11 '17 at 4:47
    亡くなりになりました and 亡くなりなりました are both incorrect. It should be either 亡くなりました or honorific お亡くなりになりました. – Chocolate Feb 11 '17 at 7:15
    Look, you use 尊敬語 (honorific/respectful language) to show respect to the agent/subject of the verb . Here, the subject of the verb 亡くなる is not the friend the speaker is speaking to, is it? The honorific お~~になる is used to show respect to 彼女. – Chocolate Feb 11 '17 at 7:26
    The expression '彼女は亡くなりなりました。' sounds odd to me as a native Japanese speaker. So is '彼女は亡くなりになりました。'. These expressions are so odd that if a spy smuggled into Japan uses such an expression, he/she will be spotted immediately (cf. the bar scene in the movie 'Inglourious Basterds') :-) As Shoko wrote, '彼女は亡くなりました。' and '彼女はお亡くなりになりました。' sound natural. I guess either of these expressions was spoken very fast or in a small voice, and that you heard as you wrote. – norio Feb 22 '17 at 2:41
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it was caused by a mishearing and is unable to be answered as is. – Chocolate Jul 9 '17 at 7:08

The rules you mention apply to adjectives. 亡くなる is a verb and 亡くなり~ is its ~ます stem.

| improve this answer | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.