I want to say (as a caption to a picture "are these sake and strawberry flavored Kit Kats? Yes, they are!" The picture has two small Kit Kats, one of each flavor, if that matters.

I've come up with 「これは日本酒とイチゴ風味のキットカットですか。はい!」

The "sake and strawberry flavored Kit Kat" is mostly a literal translation from English, so I'm fairly sure I'm missing some nuances there. It seems like there's also a few different ways to say flavor, so I picked one that looked like it fit best from Jisho.org.

「日本酒風味にイチゴ風味のキットカット!?」「そうよ!」 sounds more natural, if you use this phrase as a caption to a picture.

• Well, its going to be a facebook post with a picture. :-) It's more natural because those parts would normally be omitted? I did notice you also replaced the と with a に. Is と incorrect? How does に change the understanding? – Andy Feb 10 '17 at 2:37
    'に' means 'in addition to', while 'と' means 'and'. i.e. 'に' has some effect of emphasizing. – ErikaO Feb 10 '17 at 6:22
  • What is emphasized exactly? Does it imply one kitkat which two flavors or two different bars with one flavor each? – Andy Feb 11 '17 at 18:57
    It implies that the person is surprised to hear such kinds of flavors exist. – ErikaO Feb 13 '17 at 2:09

The following is the perfect translation. I'm afraid but there is no senistive nuance about the sentence.

"Are these sake and strawberry flavored Kit Kats? Yes, they are!" = 「これは日本酒とイチゴ風味のキットカットですか。はいそうです!」

By the way, there are two types of flavored Kit Kats. One is sake flavored one, and the other is strawberry flavored one. There is no mixed sake and strawberry flavored one.

• Right, its not mixed, its two wrapped Kit Kats, one of each flavor. – Andy Feb 10 '17 at 2:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.