I heard announcements (at the station in Tokyo):

この電車は桜木町行きです /
この電車は桜木町へ行きです

(not sure, did I hear correctly?)

English version of the above:

This train is bound for Sakuragichō.

So, I am asserting that we can use verb stem + desu. Is my assertion correct? Please explain.

Related: japanese.stackexchange.com/a/32311/5010 – naruto Feb 9 '17 at 5:55
  • @naruto you are great. Although your answers are little bit higher level (I am a beginner) but it always helps. – Hassan Tareq Feb 9 '17 at 6:01
    Naruto's answer on that linked question is much more comprehensive than mine. I strongly recommend anyone looking for a good answer to this question to go take a look. – Halfway Dillitante Feb 9 '17 at 6:10
  • @HalfwayDillitante I agree and I am reading his related link again and again to grasp. – Hassan Tareq Feb 9 '17 at 6:13

No.

In your example, that 「行き」 is actually a nounified(名詞化) version of the verb stem of「行く」.

「桜木町行き」 translates to "One that goes to Sakuragichou" or "Sakuragichou-bound".

The 「です」 is not required for the nounification. That applies for any other instance of verb-stem nounification. (i.e. うそなき- fake crying, すなあそび- sand play)

This 行き isn't verb stem but a noun. Verb stem + desu is incorrect because a noun or attributive form of verbs and adjectives + の are placed before です.

連用形(continuous form) of verbs often become a noun.

In addition, この電車は桜木町へ行きです is unnatural but この電車は桜木町へ行きます is natural.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.