I got "As expected" is the meaning of this word from Google Translate (is it correct?) and I guess this word is used in casual conversation (what is the polite version?).

I would like to know it's meaning and usage(both is casual and formal conversation)

• Does this help? japanese.stackexchange.com/a/420/9831 – Chocolate Feb 8 '17 at 6:06
  • @Shoko It did not help. I am focusing on meaning and usage of やっぱり only with example ( FYI, I am beginner) – Hassan Tareq Feb 8 '17 at 6:50
  • Then this will be of some help, maybe? japanese.stackexchange.com/a/34166/9831 – Chocolate Feb 8 '17 at 7:10
  • @Shoko Yes it helped but I would like you to answer my question with at least one example (especially when the word used at the beginning of a sentence) – Hassan Tareq Feb 8 '17 at 7:24
    Could you maybe edit your question and clarify what you're still unsure about after looking at the other questions? – Earthliŋ Feb 8 '17 at 18:40

やっぱり is a colloquial/casual version of やはり.
やっぱり/やはり has several meanings/usages. For example...

"as expected; as (one) would expect"

• やはりそれは本当だった。It was true, just as I thought/expected/imagined.
  • 「犯人は彼だった。」「やっぱりね。」"He was the criminal." "Just as I thought/suspected. ⇒ That's what I thought. / I knew it."
  • やっぱり言ったとおりだろう。That's exactly what I said. / Didn't I tell you so?
  • やっぱり(≂さすがは)イナバ、100人乗っても大丈夫。」 100 people can stand on Inaba's storage shed, just as one would expect.

"change one's mind / on second thought"

• コーヒーください。いや、やっぱり紅茶にします。I'll have a coffee... No, I changed my mind / on second thought, make it a tea.

"all the same; nonetheless; after all"

• 冬はやっぱりスキーに限る。 Winter is the best season for skiing, after all.
  • 小さいけど、やっぱりこの町が好きです。This town is small, but I like it nonetheless / all the same.
  • チョコレートはやっぱり明治。Meiji's chocolate is the best.

("as expected to be the same as before" ⇒) "still"

• 今もやはりXXにお勤めですか。Do you still work for XX company?
  • 彼女は今もやっぱりきれいだ。She's as beautiful as ever.
  • やっぱりわかりません。I still don't understand.

("as expected to be the same as something/someone else" ⇒) "too; likewise"

• やはりここも売り切れか。It's sold out here, too.
  • 弟さんもやっぱりX大出身? Did your brother graduate from X University, like you?

Good answer. We don't use the kanji for this, either, maybe this is worth mentioning for OP's sake. It's pretty odd. – virgil9306 Feb 12 '17 at 1:04
    @virgil9306 ありがとうございます☺ Right, we rarely use the kanji 矢張り or 矢っ張り. It's almost always written in Hiragana (at least in modern Japanese). – Chocolate Feb 13 '17 at 5:59
  • やはり in turn is cognate with やわら. The kanji are purely ateji. – Eiríkr Útlendi Jan 22 at 0:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.