Why are English words ending with -ing often transcribed with ング? For example, timing = タイミング, morning = モーニング, and diving = ダイビング. My guess is that グ is formally pronounced with 鼻濁音{びだくおん} , i.e. pronounced like /ŋu/. Therefore, is this the case?

この回答によると、Use the non-nasal for ガ行 syllables in non-Sino loanwords.「ポイントゲッター」、「オルガン」、「エゴ」, etc.だそうですよ – Chocolate Feb 6 '17 at 6:03

You're on the right track, but a little off.

When a language borrows a word from another language, it has two choices: drop the sounds that don't exist in their language, or add sounds to preserve the original pronunciation.

Japanese is a language that tends to try to preserve the pronunciation.

So, グ will not be pronounced as /ŋu/. However, /n/ becomes /ŋ/ before /g/. But since /g/ in isolation isn't possible in Japanese, they employ /gu/ (グ), in order to force the /ŋ/ pronunciation of ん.

So the phonemic /n.gu/ is rendered phonetically as /ŋ.gu/.

This sound cluster also exists outside of English borrowings:

天満宮(てんまんぐう) /ten.maŋ.gu/

漫画(まんが) /maŋ.ga/

でも・・・「まんが」の「が」は鼻濁音になりますが、「モーニング」「ダイビング」の「グ」は鼻濁音になりませんよね・・・ – Chocolate Feb 6 '17 at 6:00
  • え?「まんが」は /maŋ.ŋa/ の発音ですか?鼻濁音の「が」はなくなっている方言の気がしますが… – Seralt Feb 6 '17 at 6:04
    Possibly the most extreme case is the (common in South-East Asia) surname "Ng". The obvious transliteration is ング, but since ン generally doesn't appear at the start of words some computer systems will throw an error if you try to enter it as a name. My wife was asked if she was ok with her resident card naming her as グさん, or possibly イングさん, neither of which she was particularly happy with. – ConMan Feb 6 '17 at 6:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.