enter image description here

知恵袋で***いてるし…

I tried searching Google, hoping it's a phrase that might come up more often, but none of the Kanji that came up looked even remotely like the one written here.

Thank you!

It says 聞いてるし.

is 略字 (the handwritten simplified/abbreviated kanji) of 聞.

Other kanji with 門, such as 問、間、開、閉 etc., can also be simplified the same way:

Other examples of 略字:

For more about 略字, see: Ryakuji on Wikipedia

• Thank you! I was wondering if it might be a sloppily written 'mon' but the vertical line at the top had me confused - that it could be an abbreviated version hadn't crossed my mind. – Bibliocharylodis Jan 31 '17 at 18:03
  • @shoko I know this is an old post but I am curious, in your experience, are the 略字 above commonly used in handwriting? In other words, would a native recognize them without context? Thanks – G-Cam Feb 17 '17 at 19:52
    @G-Cam 小・中学・高校生で略字を使う人はほとんどいないと思いますが、普通の大人は、特に「1第、2門、5曜、4職、12器」辺りの略字はよく使われるので、文脈なしでも分かると思います。年配の人のほうがよく使う気がします。試験・履歴書・丁寧な手紙などでは好まれません。「8戦」「10機」の略字はほとんど見たことがないですが、文脈がなくても「戦」「機」かな?って想像できそうです。でも、「9濾」「13魔」の略字は文脈がないとわからないかもしれません(私はわからないです)。 – Chocolate Feb 18 '17 at 3:45
  • ^間違いました・・「8戦」じゃなくて「8選」って書きたかった・・ – Chocolate Apr 26 '18 at 13:28

This is the handwritten simplified version of , similar to simplified Chinese .

Note however that the simplified Chinese form of the radical has a break, and the "divider" is a single dot-like stroke in the left corner:

Meanwhile, the 門 radical is often abbreviated in Japanese handwriting to a 略字{りゃくじ} (ryakuji, "abbreviated character") form. The Japanese ryakuji form of 門 has the surrounding line as a single connected line, and the "divider" line in the center.

Read more about ryakuji on Wikipedia.

Thank you! I upvoted your answer, but unfortunately I can only 'accept' one, so to be fair, I chose the answer that came in earlier. Your excursion into Chinese was very interesting, though! – Bibliocharylodis Jan 31 '17 at 18:09

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.