In the sentence: 日本人がアメリカを旅行して面倒だと感じることの一つは、チップの習慣である。

I understand that it means something along the lines of "One of the troubling experiences of Japanese people who travel to america is the custom of tipping."

I don't understand why it's written as 面倒だと感じることの一つは Why not 面倒なことの一つは? Can someone please break down the usage of だと感じる

is the と being used for quoting purposes, to mean "when/if" or is the だと the expression "if it's the case"? I'd really appreciate any help!

The 「と」 used here is the quotative/case particle (格助詞)「と」. 「と」 meaning "when/if" is the conjunctive particle (接続助詞)「と」. – Chocolate Jan 31 '17 at 5:22

Because 面倒なことの一つは sounds judgmental and from the writer's perspective while 面倒だと感じることの一つ sounds more anecdotal and from other peoples' perspectives. When you say だと感じる its saying that other people feel a certain way. "One thing that Japanese people find/feel is annoying / difficult"

is the と being used for quoting purposes, to mean "when/if" or is the だと the expression "if it's the case"? – flan_ Jan 31 '17 at 4:35
    its just the grammatical usage of N+quotation. The in this case operates similar to a quote. I think if you just try to translate it as if it were "if that's the case" you can easily see that the sentence wouldn't make any sense. – frei Jan 31 '17 at 5:09
  • I see, sorry for the dumb questions. Thanks! – flan_ Jan 31 '17 at 5:18
  • no worries! it isn't always so clear cut – frei Jan 31 '17 at 8:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.