I have a piece of "grass paper"? included in my meal, want to know it's purpose. It isn't edible, and could be a choking hazard. I also don't know what it is called.

  • 2
    Maybe including a picture of it would help get faster and more accurate replies. – Flaw Jan 29 '17 at 15:09
  • 1
    It is a green piece of plastic/paper with jagged edges on one side. – JACK Jan 29 '17 at 15:13

The name of the bento grass is called "haran" and is a plastic substitute for leaves and grasses that were originally used to enclose sushi and vegetables to preserve the flavor and taste of the item wrapped, and to reduce spoilage. The item is also used to add color and overall appeal to the meal when displayed.

Additional information can be reviewed at:


| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.