I read the answer to this question Grammatical Pattern : VerbてのNoun but I do not see how it applies to the following sentence お申し込みにあたってのご注意

It cannot be "you must apply to be careful".

The same idea still applies to your sentence (actually, it is not a complete sentence but a noun phrase). It is "notes on application" of somewhat polite and formal form.

To find out this, you should carefully analyze your sentence.

As you know, the noun 「お申し込み」 is 「お」 + 「申し込み」, "application."

One of the basic meanings of the next verb 「あたる」 is "to face".

As described in the answer in the question you linked, 「-ての」 followed by nouns express the condition. So 「お申し込みにあたっての」 is "when you face the application" or more naturally, "when you are making application."

Lastly, 「ご注意」 is 「ご」 + 「注意」. Here this is a noun rather than a verb (注意する), so it should be "notes" or "precautions," but not "to be careful."

Now, the interpretation of whole phrase is, "notes when you are making application."

Thank you for the explanation. I do not see it as a condition. A condition is expressed by "if then" or "when then". If it is translated "notes when you are making the application", it looks more like a simultaneous event. – Nutkin Jan 29 '17 at 15:18
    The word condition has 25 senses in dictionary.com/browse/condition. If it is translated "notes when you are making the application", it looks more like a "situation with respect to circumstances." I'm afraid that labeling -ての as condition is very confusing. – Nutkin Jan 29 '17 at 15:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.