In the Skeptics.SE question https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/36602/do-japanese-police-roll-drunks-and-criminals-into-giant-futons , one term used for sheets that police wrap drunks and criminals in is 保護シート. (There's a photo of the sheet in that question)

However, I think most of the time that term is used for the covers on smartphone screens. I tried asking some native speakers, and they said they don't know what the correct term is.

Is there a name for these sheets, and if so, what is it?


I do not think there is a predominant term used to describe it. After some googling, I hvae come up with:





In the context of a police arrest, any one of the above would be understood. I personally feel like I hear 「ビニールシート」 slightly more often than the others

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.