I was looking at a bottle of sake I had been given. It had a 60% on it and I wondered what it meant:

I ran it through the Google Translate for images - and it gave me this:

In regard to the 60% - Google Translate gave me "rice milling commission 60%".

I don't feel any more informed. Do the rice millers get 60% of the profits of the bottle sales?

My question is: What is the rice milling commission on sake?

closed as off-topic by snailcar Jan 26 '17 at 19:00

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "Questions asking for translations, transcriptions or proofreading are off-topic unless prior research effort is clearly indicated; we're here to help you learn, not to provide a bulk translation service nor to proofread your translations or transcriptions. See: We don't do translations." – snailcar
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

• "Sake dumpling tool"? "Comission"? Nowhere on the label does it say those. Even I, a pure amateur, could do a far better translation than that. – l'électeur Jan 26 '17 at 10:40
  • @l'électeur, I would love it if someone would invent a Japanese sake dumpling tool. :) – Eiríkr Útlendi Jan 26 '17 at 18:02
  • ejje.weblio.jp/content/精米歩合 I think you should research more. When searching, you shouldn't use Google Translate. (because there is wrong translations) – Heav1est Jan 28 '17 at 11:00

精米歩合 refers to the ratio of white rice to the original brown rice. (If you polish 100kg of brown rice until you have 60kg of white rice, then your 精米歩合 is 60%.)

(This has nothing to do with "commission".)

• Really? I have always thought it was the opposite. I thought 大吟醸 had the lowest 精米歩合. The lower the 精米歩合, the more polishing, I thought. – l'électeur Jan 26 '17 at 10:56
  • @l'électeur You're right. I confused it with ぶづき米, where the higher the number, the more polished the rice. (I.e. 7分づき is whiter than 5分づき.) – Earthliŋ Jan 26 '17 at 11:36
  • Yeah, 精米歩合 is a tricky word. It is how much of the rice grains you have left after the polishing, and not how much of the rice you have polished off of the grains. – l'électeur Jan 26 '17 at 12:03

Its has to do with the 'rice polishing ratio which is one way of categorizing sake:

http://www.nymtc.com/Japanese-Sake/Learning-About-Sake_Rice-Polishing-Ratio.html

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.