When I pay for something I don't hand the money over directly. I put it in a small tray.


Most "officially", it is called 「カルトン」.

As it says in the Wiki article above, it is also called 「キャッシュトレイ」、「コイントレイ」、「釣{つ}り銭{せん}トレイ」, etc.

For those interested, I just found an article on this subject in the Japan Times.

  • 2
    I read that JapanTimes article a while ago and was gonna link it when I saw the question in "Hot Network Questions" Jan 25 '17 at 23:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.