Is the sentence

私の家族の一人は痩せて、かわいい

a correct translation of

One of my family members is thin and cute

?

Rather than やせていて, I think ほそくて would be a better description. やせていて almost sounds negative, as in "too thin".

私の家族の一人はほそくてかわいい。

Google ほそくてかわいい and you'll get a bunch of images of thin and cute models and idols.

| improve this answer | |
  • I did some thinking, and I realized we could slightly alter your phrasing to make the Japanese translation more natural sounding: 私の家族には細くて可愛い人がいる。 It's not the exact same nuance though, so it might not work for you, depending on the intent behind the sentence. – Halfway Dillitante Jan 26 '17 at 0:43

In this case, "私の家族の一人は" is correct. Although it might feel more natural to specify which one(brother, sister, father, etc...).

However, the following change should be made :

痩せて > 痩せていて

Adding the "いて" is needed to reflect the ongoing state of being thin rather than the plan or the action of loosing weight.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thank you for your answner but I have a question, what's the point in attaching two te-form verbs ? 痩せて is already reflecting an ongoing state of being thin? isn't it? – Kopurakusu Jan 25 '17 at 15:12
    @Kopurakusu the second one is the te form of the iru that you add after the first te form to make it ongoing. A te form without the iru after is not ongoing, just a plain te form, that can be used for various things(like chaining up an adjective in this case.) – stack reader Jan 25 '17 at 16:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.