I'm looking for the popularity of the name Kakka in respect to Japanese culture.

As a white American, who speaks Spanish, the enunciation of "Kakka" (via subtitles) seems to be very similar to a Spanish "Caca" which means "shit" in the most comparable English translation.

How can I understand the Japanese meaning of of the name Kakka, so I don't mistranslate the meaning with the Spanish alternative? I heard it on the first time on Netflix / Man In The High Castle (season 2/episode 4 I think) and want to retain my cultural relevancy.

• you are not alone spanish person, kakka is also poo in finnish. there is an old popular anime called " Legend of Galactic Heroes ", which used the word extensively through the very long series. – redmanticore Dec 26 '17 at 13:10
  • Interestingly also какa in Russian translates to "like" in English. – bobobobo 3 hours ago

"Kakka" is far from popular; it's virtually nonexistent as a Japanese person name.

But there is a word 閣下 ("kakka"), which is a word used to address heads of government/state. It's like English "Your Excellency" or "Your Highness".

The kanji character 閣 ("kak(u)") means "(government) cabinet/building/palace," and 下 ("ka") means "below/under." Put together, 閣下 is used to indirectly refer to someone under the Cabinet (building's ceiling). Of course it's not related to any Spanish nouns, and very few people care how it sounds to Spanish people.

• デーモン小暮閣下(笑) – broccoli forest Jan 25 '17 at 2:54
  • There is a restaurant in Toronto called "KAKA all you can eat", so I certainly hoped KAKA didn't have the Spanish meaning in Japanese. Still, I haven't tried the restaurant. – bobobobo 3 hours ago

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.