Why is no marker used after 中 in this case:

厳しい寒さの、水中で綱を引き豊漁を祈願する伝統の神事が、福井県美浜町で行われました。

As far as I understand, the expression 寒さの中 means 'in the coldness', (where here 中 is read なか, or is it not?). It just seems a bit awkward to me to be written like this, i.e. with a comma right after it and no marker. What am I missing?

• related japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/2503/… – macraf Jan 21 '17 at 23:36
  • The very common polite expressions such as 「忙しい中ありがとう」 and 「忙しい中すみません」also omit a marker, and there is no comma. Googling the expression 「戦争中」, it seems to be frequently (but not always) used with a comma instead of a marker. Whether to pronounce "naka" or "tyuu" is decided by the preceding words. – Craig Hicks Jan 22 '17 at 5:27

「厳{きび}しい寒{さむ}さの中{なか}、水中{すいちゅう}で綱{あみ}を引{ひ}き豊漁{ほうりょう}を祈願{きがん}する伝統{でんとう}の神事{しんじ}が、福井県美浜町{ふくいけんみはまちょう}で行{おこな}われました。」

This sentence is perfect in every way.

If you inserted 「で」 after 「寒さの中」, the sentence would still be grammatical but it would sound a little more conversational when it clearly is not meant to be. 「で」 would be redundant in this context -- more so than you might think.

When talking about an event taking place in a meteorological condition, a general ambience or a psychological state in a non-conversational setting, using 「で」 would often make the sentence sound less than great.

The reason for using a comma after 「寒さの中」 should mainly be for clarity. It prevents us from having to see a funny-looking 「中水中」 in the 中 of the sentence. No 親父{おやじ}ギャグ intended.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.