When I write words that are purely in katakana, I always forgot whether to add a ッ or a ー. For example, When writing スクリーンショット, I might write スクリンショト or スクリーンショト or even スクリンショト. My question is, does these things matter? Do people understand what a スクリンショト is?

I am aware that it might become another entirely different word, like ビール vs ビル but surely that can be inferred from context, right?

• Are you inputting the text using an input method editor? You can select the correct spelling from the list of suggestions. – siikamiika Jan 20 '17 at 13:14
  • What if I'm writing on paper? @siikamiika – Sweeper Jan 20 '17 at 13:16
    As in English, writing a word incorrectly might be understood, but it is still not correct. – JACK Jan 20 '17 at 13:26
  • @JACKB But as in English, words can be spelled in more than one "correct" way, like learned vs learnt and sulfur vs sulphur. – Sweeper Jan 20 '17 at 13:41
  • @Sweeper Recognized spellings are the determining factor in both languages. – JACK Jan 20 '17 at 15:20

Wrongly written words in katakana look quite strange, weird and odd. Though one may be able to understand these words after staring at them for a second, they are not at all alternative ways of writing, but just wrong ones.

The reason is that their pronunciations are definitely different. If you omit 「ッ」 or 「ー」 in words, the pronunciations change even though 「ッ」 and 「ー」 may look supplementary. So they are unlikely to be regarded identical.

The exception is trailing 「ー」. For example 「サーバー」 and 「サーバ」 for "server." In this case both are accepted (so some standards define which ones to use).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.