I am new to Japanese Language stack exchange and a beginner at learning Japanese too.

I have recently gotten a Japanese penpal who is lovely. I want to send her a message but I am having trouble getting across my meaning with these sentences:

すみません、ひらがなです。

What I am trying to do here is apologise for mostly writing to her in hiragana. But it looks like I'm just apologising for the existence of hiragana, or something... How can I explain that I'm sorry about using my hiragana in my penpal messages?

This is the next sentence:

私の漢字はだめ。

I'm trying to say my skills at kanji are not good, but again I don't think I'm getting the right meaning across here. How would I say this?

I would really appreciate it if you could include romaji in your answer.

I think we'd rather use [下手]{へた} over だめ... (だめ is the direct translation of the English "bad") – Chocolate Jan 19 '17 at 0:20

Add the です on the end and your sentence makes sense and is appropriate: 私の漢字はだめです。 If you want to say "sorry for writing in hiragana only", you're close: ひらがなでかきますから、すみません。 (Literally, "because I'm writing in hiragana, sorry [about that]".)

Putting the two together makes things clearest, I think: 私の漢字はだめです。ひらがなでかきますから、すみません。 Have fun writing and learning!

Thank you so much! :) You unlocked my meaning in Japanese perfectly. – Lunakshc Jan 18 '17 at 19:34
  • Downvoter, a comment or even an alternate answer would be much more productive. – Eiríkr Útlendi Jan 19 '17 at 5:30
    Maybe "(...)から、すみません。" for "Sorry for (...)" sounds a bit strange. Usually I would say "(...)て、すみません。" (Though in this case I'd prefer ひらがなで、すみません。to ひらがなでかいて、すみません。 Or better yet, ひらがなばかりで、すみません。) – goldbrick Jan 19 '17 at 10:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.