I could not find anything about it. What does it mean?

崇君は漫画ばっかり読んでてさ

「読{よ}んで + + さ」=「読んで + いて + さ」

「いて」 (てーform of the progressive 「いる」) is very often contracted to 「て」 in informal speech.

We say 「読んでて」、「見てて」、「食べてて」、「してて」, etc. You just cannot speak natural informal Japanese without using this いて-to-て contraction dozens of times a day.

Next, the sentence-ending particle 「さ」.

「さ」 is used to make a light and casual (and sometimes careless) kind of declaration. This sentence-ender does not have a clear meaning of its own. It is the kind of sentence-ender that some people use quite heavily out of a habit while others rarely do. Without exaggeration, some actually use it at the end of every phrase (or even word) like:

「あのさ、オレさ、昨日{きのう}さ、東京{とうきょう}でさ、トラブっちゃってさ、・・・」

In the real Japanese-speaking world, there is such thing as "one's go-to sentence-ender". Some go to 「よ」, some to 「ね」, some to 「さ」, etc. What type are you?

Here is an extremely famous children's song for you. Lyrics by a さ-type person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8T3CkQWaKI

• Is いて the same as いる in my sentence? Because it's not a request at all. – Dav7n Jan 19 '17 at 0:56
    But I never said or suggested that it was a request. Instead, I clearly stated that it was the progressive いて. All I said was that 「読んで(い)て」 was the te-form of 「読んで(い)る」 and 「読んで(い)た」. – l'électeur Jan 19 '17 at 1:36
  • Sorry for the misunderstanding, I said that due to some searches. Your answer was very clear. – Dav7n Jan 19 '17 at 1:44

The さ on the end is one of those mood particles that gets added on the end of sentences, like よ or ね or わ. The て is an abbreviated いて, the conjunctive or -te form of いる, so 読んでいて is the verb part of the sentence here.

Try proceeding from this point and see if it makes any more sense to you. :)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.