I cannot find a translation of the word (or phrase) ついクセ in the following sentence.

引越してきてからも ついクセで 東京のぶんの天気予報まで見てしまいます

My best guess would be that つい comes from 付く and クセ is 癖 so that the word could mean "acquired bad habit".

Also, I am not entirely sure what the も and the まで are doing in this sentence.

My attempt at a translation would be the following:

After I moved here, I got into the bad habit of looking at the weather forecast for the region around Tokyo.

Is this somewhat close?

1 Answer 1

つい and クセ are two words.

• つい is an adverb, meaning "against one's better judgement" or "unintentional" (although these are very wordy in comparison with the original Japanese)

• クセ is indeed 癖 "(bad) habit" and クセで means "out of habit"

The two adverbs are independent. (You could delete either one, or both, from the sentence and still have a grammatical sentence.)

引越してきてからも ついクセで 東京のぶんの天気予報まで見てしまいます
After moving here, out of habit I still end up watching even the weather forecast for Tokyo.

• も works like "even" here, since he is watching Tokyo's weather forecast even though he lives somewhere else. It corresponds

• まで is used for emphasis ("up to and including")

The translation still reads like a bumpy ride, but I tried to stick to a literal translation as much as possible.

What does ぶん do in this sentence?
    – Dav7n
    Jan 16, 2017 at 11:48
    @Dav7n 分【ぶん】 means "part". 東京のぶんの天気予報 means the part of the weather forecast that is about Tokyo.
    – Earthliŋ
    Jan 16, 2017 at 12:01

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .